& Book Clubs
I'd love to speak at your professional association
or classroom, perform a reading
for your community group
or share at your book club!
In person or via Zoom.
Triumphs and Pitfalls of an Authorpreneur
Glean Wisdom, Avoid Pitfalls, as I Share My Journey as an Indie-Author
This is a candid discussion of my journey as an indie-author, using my novels set in WW2-era Latvia as case studies to discuss:
• Fictionalizing family stories
• Three qualities of good material for hist fic
• Balancing history and historical fiction
• Constellation of characters
• Point-of-view characters
• Language and references in historical fiction
• Primary research sources
• Whose story is it to tell?
• Balancing creativity and business
• Marketability of various genres and sub-genres
• Dual timelines
• Energetic markers
• Prose vs. structure
• Novel-writing applications: Scrivener, Aeon
• Balancing research with imagination
• Ekphrasic art
• Genre conventions
• Course corrections
• Trad vs. indie opportunities
Around one hour long, including Q&A.
Janis Meets the Roma
Theme involves cognac.